Summer is almost here and Spring is coming to a close. It’s time to get creative with those glorious branches of ruby goodness AKA RHUBARB!
I was inspired by how bright red the rhubarb has been the past couple weeks….and also by Mad Men. Maybe we’ve been watching too much Mad Men…all I want to do is drink martinis.
Rhubarb may seem a bit challenging but in reality, the possibilities are endless. First on the menu: My Rhubarb-Lime Martini!
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Rhubarb Compote:
1 pound of rhubarb, cleaned and sliced
3/4 cup rapadura or sucanat (much more nutritious than regular granulated cane sugar. you can find this at whole foods or your local health food store)
2 or 3 tablespoons of unsalted organic butter
pinch of sea salt
lime zest from 1 lime
For the rest of the ‘tini:
[makes 2 Martinis]
1 oz lime juice
3 oz. chilled vodka (use a good quality one!)
3 tablespoons of rhubarb compote (from recipe above)
2 ice cubes
a little organic evaporated cane juice to rim the glasses
*You can play around with measurements to your liking.*
*For an added ruby hue, add a splash of pure cranberry juice if you have it on hand!*
*Remember to use organic ingredients!*
First, make the compote:
1. Melt butter in large sauce pan
2. Add sugar and cook on very low heat until well combined
3. add the sliced rhubarb, lime zest, and pinch of sea salt
4. cook on low heat until rhubarb becomes slightly soft.
5. turn off heat. let cool. (it’s not good to put steaming hot food in the processor)
6. using a food processor, process the compote until creamy and smooth.
7. Place martini ingredients into martini shaker (ice cubes, lime juice, rhubarb compote, and vodka) *if you are redneck like me and don’t have a martini shaker–use a mason jar…they work great and they even have oz. measurements on the side*
8. Garnish with Lime slice and sugar the rim.