Do you know what I love? I love that moment when you figure out how to make something you thought you could only purchase from the store! …and it’s BETTER than anything the store could ever sell!
Oh what a great feeling!
This is what happened for tortillas and me last night. I figured out how to make real food, sprouted flour, lard tortillas! Seriously, these tortillas are delicious and have great texture.
And you know what? I didn’t need a fancy tortilla press. All I needed was a rolling pin and a frying pan! And about an hour and a half. And of course the ingredients that go into the dough…
The following recipe make 12 tortillas. I would recommend doubling the recipe since it is a bit time consuming. You can freeze or refrigerate the tortillas.
2 1/2 cups of sprouted whole wheat flour – I use To Your Health Sprouted Flour Company’s flour, it is magnificent!
1/2 cup lard, olive oil, coconut oil, or tallow
1 teaspoon sea salt- I used pink salt
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon per tortilla of lard for frying
1. Use either a hand held mixer, a kitchen-aid, or food processor (with dough blade!)
2. Add flour, oil/fat, and salt to mixer and combine until crumbly.
3. As your mixer or food processor is running, slowly add warm water until dough joins together into a large, smooth lump.
4. Roll out your lump into a cylindrical baguette shape and measure out 12 even slices. Cut your 12 slices.
5. Roll each slice into a ball in your hand and flatten all of the out on a large cutting board or counter top. Cover for 30 minutes.
6. Prepare a floured surface to roll out your tortillas.
7. Roll out tortillas to approx. 10″ around. [it takes a bit of practice to roll out your tortillas perfectly round. Take it slow and roll out equally on all sides]
8. Heat up your skillet with your lard or other fat on medium heat.
9. Fry your tortilla for about 30 or so seconds on each side or until it starts to brown and bubble a bit.
Ay ay ay!
Eat your tortillas right away or refrigerate/freeze for later use.
This post is a part of Thank Your Body Thursday! Check it out!
Also linked to GNOWFGLINS.com Simple Lives Thursday!
Also linked to Food Renegade’s Real Food Friday!