Sometimes I just have a hankering for the fattiest thing I can get my hands on. The thing that satisfies me the most? Hollandaise sauce. The perfect combination of fat, fat and more fat. It’s one of those things that when you eat it, you know it’s exactly what you needed.
My recommendation: If you are finding you are craving fat…EAT IT. Your body clearly needs it and is begging you for it. Good saturated fat is important for properly functioning brain and hormones. Since incorporating fat into my diet my mental stability and depression/anxiety tendencies have decreased.
Thank you Julia Child for your simple hollandaise sauce recipe…so easy, even I can do it! And it’s a great arm workout too 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need:
A sauce pan
3 eggs (and two more if you are putting it atop poached eggs)~(I’ve been using duck eggs for this and they work GREAT. Try to get your hands on some organic pasture raised duck or chicken eggs)
a tablespoon or two of lemon juice
a tablespoon or two of water
6- 8 oz of soft unsalted organic butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of cayenne
pinch of paprika
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
fresh parsley chopped (optional)
1. In sauce pan, add 3 egg YOLKS only, water, and lemon juice.
2. Whisk constantly over low hear until mixture is quite thick, you will know when it reaches this point. You may take the sauce pan off the heat occasionally while whisking so yolks dont harden.
3. When you’ve reached the desired thick consistency turn off stove.
4. Add butter by the spoonful and whisk in until totally melted.
5. Add salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
6. Add more lemon juice or water to taste.
7. Serve over poached eggs as eggs benedict or atop anything your heart desires. It’s great over roasted asparagus as well!
“You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces – just good food from fresh ingredients.” ― Julia Child